Hare's version of events...

William Hare, Edinburgh, 24 December 1828

Henry Cockburn, defense counsel: You have been acquainted with Burke for some time I understand?
Hare: Yes.
Cockburn: You are not bound to answer this question I am going to put, unless you like. Had you had several transactions with Dr. Knox or his assistants and Burke ? Do you choose to answer that?
Hare: No.
Cockburn: Had you received money at various times from Dr. Knox?
Hare: I never did.
Cockburn: Had you received any money from gentlemen representing themselves as Dr. Knox's assistants?
Hare: They never gave it to me.
Cockburn: Did you ever receive any money from Dr. Knox's assistants?
Hare:  Burke might have had it paid to him by Dr. Knox, and he could have given it to me.
Cockburn: I ask you, Did you never receive money from Dr. Knox's assistants?
Hare: No.

Previous post
Burke and Hare Anatomy Murders